Thursday, June 23, 2011

Can You Pass the 4-Way Test?

"Truth is the secret of eloquence and virtue, the basis of moral authority; it is the highest summit of art and of life." - Henri Amiel

I recently attended a local Rotary Club meeting.  While I am not a Rotarian, I have several friends who are and I have always been impressed with the work of this civic organization.  I was pleased to have the opportunity to visit with my friend and Oklahoma County Treasurer, Butch Freeman while at this particular meeting.

Like many clubs, this group recited the Rotarian's 4-Way Test at the end of the meeting.  While I have heard this on many occasions, it had been a while.  For those who have never heard or read the test, here it is:
  • Is it the truth?
  • Is it fair to all concerned?
  • Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
  • Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
As I pondered these questions, I thought of my friend, Butch Freeman.  He has been the County Treasurer for nearly 20 years.  I've had the opportunity to observe his actions first hand, as a former county employee.  He is also the current District Governor of Rotary.  As I thought about my experiences in Oklahoma County and watching how Butch approached leadership, I was struck by how closely he adhered to these principles.

Butch was not concerned about scoring political points, or using his position as a springboard for higher political office.  But he was always particularly concerned with developing strong relationships and ensuring that the actions he and others took were beneficial to everyone concerned.  Butch was also a straight shooter.  He told you what he thought, whether he agreed with you or not.  But it was always in a respectful way.

If you have ever met Butch, you know he is one of the most congenial individuals around.  He always greets you with a smile and a handshake.  He is an excellent representative for Rotary International, and you can tell he is passionate about the organization.

I also recalled an earlier conversation I had this week with another friend and Rotarian, Jerrod Shouse.  Jerrod also represents the best of Rotarian values.  Jerrod is part of the younger generation of Rotarians.  He is active and creating a strong reputation for himself.  I know the commitment he has made to the Rotary has helped him build that reputation.

In previous posts I've mentioned the five tenets of Taekwondo and their relationship to our daily lives.  I think the Rotary's 4-way test is another excellent tool by which we can gauge the quality of our actions.  If more people would apply this test before they spoke or acted, much of the conflict we see around us would dissolve.

I will probably join the Rotary soon.  I've been around it too much and respect the organization and the individuals who participate in it.  But I think whether we are members of Rotary International or not, we can all benefit from applying the 4-Way Test to our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment